Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I&E) Conference
A Seismic Shift in Promotion & Tenure
July 25 to 27, 2022
Abstract Deadline is May 20, 2022
2022 PTIE Conference Format
The 2022 PTIE Conference (from the afternoon on Monday, July 25 to lunchtime on Wednesday, July 27) offers benefits for individuals both new to PTIE and those already involved. Attendees can interact with the experts in the field and learn how to translate knowledge gained back to their own institution. Targeted attendees are administrative leaders on their campus as well as researchers focused on innovation & entrepreneurship (I&E) looking to bring the PTIE work back to their own campus. Numerous opportunities will be made available for socializing amongst the attendees – including evening mixers on Day 1 and Day 2.
Application process and abstract submission for the conference is now open (Abstract deadline extended to Friday, May 20). Please visit this link to submit your application and abstract(s) now. The application portion will continue to be open once the abstract submissions close, but please do finalize your application with your interest to attend soon as we have limited space available. Conference registration fee ($249) will be billed separately after the application is accepted. Scholarships will be available to support inclusivity and diverse attendance from across our coalition and beyond.
The 2022 PTIE Conference will be July 25-27 at Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, WA – just a short 45 drive along the Columbia River from the Portland International Airport. Skamania Lodge will be offering special conference rates (July 25-27, $199 per night plus taxes and applicable fees).
- When using the booking link first click the arrival date and then the departure date; for example if you are staying two night select June 25, then June 27.
- If interested in additional dates outside of the conference room block contact Skamania Lodge directly at (844) 432-4748; mention the code 1YL3RX.
- Hotel reservations should be made by June 15, 2022, after this date we can no longer guarantee the special conference rate.
Tentative Outline for PTIE Conference 2022
Day 1: PTIE Boot Camp
Want to learn what PTIE is all out? Need a refresher on the effort? During this afternoon session (2-5 pm), PTIE organizers will go over the background on the effort, the nationwide survey data collected on current state of recognition of I&E within P&T and the PTIE recommendations. This sessions is targeted for universities that are new to PTIE as well as new individuals from existing PTIE member organizations.
Welcome Mixer (Evening) including opening remarks from Vice President Irem Tumer (Vice President for Research at Oregon State University) and Professor Rich Carter (PI of PTIE effort, Professor of Chemistry and Faculty Lead for Innovation Excellence at Oregon State University)
Day 2: Valuing I&E in Academia
Introductory Remarks by PTIE Organizers
Morning Keynote Addresses:
- Dr. Erwin Gianchandani (Assistant Director and Head of the new Technology, Innovation & Partnership (TIP) Directorate at the National Science Foundation)
- Provost Michael Brown (Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs for the University of California System).
Morning Session (Parallel sessions from submitted abstracts by attendees focused on their own research / institutional work around recognizing I&E)
Afternoon Keynote Addresses:
- Pamela McCauley (Associate Dean for Academic Programs, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, North Carolina State University)
- Joseph Whittaker (Vice President for Research and Economic Development & Associate Provost at Jackson State University)
Afternoon Sessions (Parallel sessions from submitted abstracts by attendees focused on their own research / institutional work around recognizing I&E).
Dinner with Keynote Speaker
- Tuba Özkan-Haller (Interim Dean of College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences, Oregon State University)
Day 3: Implementation Strategies
Introduction and Available Resources for PTIE Adoption
Morning Session: This session will feature members from the PTIE Implementation Working Group facilitating a discussion on how to best support adoption on university campuses & how to continue to engage collaboratively going forward. Break out sessions for individuals to have conversations with PTIE representatives and other member campus representatives on strategies and tactics to implement changes
Rich G. Carter, Faculty Lead for Innovation Excellence, Oregon State University
E: [email protected]
T: (541) 737-9486
Karl Mundorff, Executive Director, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Oregon State University
E: [email protected]
T: (503) 880-7002
Conference Services, Oregon State University
E: [email protected]