Supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) Award # CNS-1936073 and hosted by Oregon State University, the Promotion and Tenure – Innovation and Entrepreneurship (PTIE) Summit will be held on September 16-18, 2020 in Arlington, VA at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City. This summit will convene key stakeholders to discuss the value and inclusion of evidence-based data, experimental knowledge and impact outcomes derived from innovation and entrepreneurial (I&E) achievements as additional components in promotion and tenure (P&T) decisions for higher education nationally.
The specifics goals for the summit include:
- Disseminate the current status of I&E within P&T among universities from across the Nation.
- Provide case studies from individual faculty, administrators and industry leaders demonstrating the impact of I&E within P&T.
- Foster communication and information sharing among the higher education ecosystem on I&E.
- Develop best practices and road maps for individual universities to consider augmenting their individual P&T guidelines to more inclusively support I&E among their faculty.
Format and Timeline
The summit will enable a structured conversation around the role of I&E within P&T guidelines to help shift the Nation’s focus within higher education to more inclusively recognize their value to the success of faculty, students, institution and the country as a whole. An abbreviated timeline is provided below:
- Fall 2019. Survey data will be collected from universities (the word “university” serves as encompassing all institutions of higher education) on the current state of P&T criterion (both in practice and in writing) for supporting I&E endeavors of university faculty. The results from this survey data will be published in 2020.
- Winter-Spring 2020. Build a non-binding coalition of partner universities to develop the ultimate agenda and breakout sessions of the summit. Publication of the findings of the survey and the application process will open for interested individuals to apply to attend the summit. Accepted attendees will be notified via email.
- Summer 2020. Coalition members and national stakeholders will engage in conversations on each of the topics of the Summit to develop the final agenda. Required reading material will be sent to all selected attendees to ensure a common background understanding of the I&E landscape within P&T.
- September 16-18, 2020. The summit will utilize a structured format aligned with the overarching goals including keynote speakers as well as facilitated conversations in small groups. Report outs to all attendees will ensure a productive national conversation on the topic. The outputs from the summit will be published in 2020-2021, and select aspects will be made available on this website.
By invitation. More information is coming soon.
Information on how to sponsor PTIE 2020 and a list of our generous sponsors are coming soon.