Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I&E) Summit
A Seismic Shift in Promotion & Tenure
Supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) Award # CNS-1936073 and hosted by Oregon State University, the Promotion and Tenure – Innovation and Entrepreneurship (PTIE) Summit will be held on September 16-18, 2020. This summit will convene key stakeholders to discuss the value and inclusion of evidence-based data, experimental knowledge and impact outcomes derived from innovation and entrepreneurial (I&E) achievements as additional components in promotion and tenure (P&T) decisions for higher education nationally.
The specifics goals for the summit include:
- Disseminate the current status of I&E within P&T among universities from across the Nation.
- Provide case studies from individual faculty, administrators and industry leaders demonstrating the impact of I&E within P&T.
- Foster communication and information sharing among the higher education ecosystem on I&E.
- Develop best practices and road maps for individual universities to consider augmenting their individual P&T guidelines to more inclusively support I&E among their faculty.
Goal of PTIE Summit
To finalize the non-binding recommendations by PTIE Coalition members and stakeholders on how universities can inclusively recognize innovation & entrepreneurship (I&E) impact within promotion & tenure (P&T) guidelines and processes. Participants are invited to actively engage in refining preliminary recommendations and continue to share best practices and useful tactics for implementation. During the Summit, we will focus our efforts on advancing I&E in promotion and tenure processes mindful that I&E is a critical part of larger opportunity to “broaden the bar” to include array of scholarly and creative activity of a 21st Century professoriate. We will position our collective efforts around I&E to support or further efforts to improve the system for other domains such as evidence-based instructional/mentoring practice, public engagement and outreach, and community-engaged scholarship.
Overall Structure of Effort
In order to frame the summit next month, here is reminder of the overall approach used by PTIE organizers:
- Summer 2019. Oregon State University receives a grant from the National Science Foundation entitled “Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I&E) Summit: A Seismic Shift in Promotion and Tenure.”
- Late 2019. A nationwide survey was conducted to evaluate the current paradigms for recognizing I&E impacts within promotion criterion (see link to findings).
- Early 2020. PTIE organizers met individually with representatives from universities across the nation as well as key stakeholder organizations to build a coalition of over 65 institutions to approach this program in a collaborative manner.
- Summer 2020. A series of small group conversations were conducted with PTIE coalition members and stakeholders around a series of five related topics with structured outputs for each discussion. The preliminary findings from these discussions are being shared with coalition members and stakeholders to provide the foundation for the recommendations by the group.
- September 2020. A virtual summit will be held (September 16-18) to provide opportunities for additional institutions and organizations to learn more about the effort and to finalize the non-binding recommendations from the coalition.
- Fall 2020. Submission for publication of the findings from the summit for broad dissemination.
- 2021. Work with PTIE coalition member institutions to support implementation. An in-person summit in Fall 2021 is tentatively planed to share lessons learned and foster continued engagement.